This day one year ago (Nov. 19, 2012) was the day. It was the day we had waited 31 months and 2 weeks for.
It was the day we received "The Call."
Sweet M, we first laid eyes on you that day, we learned your name that day, we discovered you were a little over 4 months old that day, our lives changed forever that day.
We were so head over heels that day, and for days and weeks and months thereafter. All we really thought about was you, preparing for you, meeting you, leaving you, coming home to prepare for your arrival, and going back to Ethiopia to become a family with you. You. You. You.
You.
I admit it...it took some time for me to really begin to acknowledge the tug at my heart and to let the ache surface.
It took some time, I admit, for me to realize and recognize and accept that our gain that day (a picture of you) and our immeasurable joy that day (that you would one day become our daughter) was matched with what can only be described as an immeasurable loss for you and for your birth family in Ethiopia.
While we were here last November celebrating the joy, you and your birth mother were experiencing a loss that I can only label as unimaginable.
People often say how lucky you are, Sweet M, to have us. To that I reply with a statement about how blessed we are. We are the fortunate ones. We are the lucky ones. We are the blessed ones.
We have been blessed with the gift of being a part of your family.
It was the day we received "The Call."
Sweet M, we first laid eyes on you that day, we learned your name that day, we discovered you were a little over 4 months old that day, our lives changed forever that day.
We were so head over heels that day, and for days and weeks and months thereafter. All we really thought about was you, preparing for you, meeting you, leaving you, coming home to prepare for your arrival, and going back to Ethiopia to become a family with you. You. You. You.
You.
I admit it...it took some time for me to really begin to acknowledge the tug at my heart and to let the ache surface.
It took some time, I admit, for me to realize and recognize and accept that our gain that day (a picture of you) and our immeasurable joy that day (that you would one day become our daughter) was matched with what can only be described as an immeasurable loss for you and for your birth family in Ethiopia.
While we were here last November celebrating the joy, you and your birth mother were experiencing a loss that I can only label as unimaginable.
People often say how lucky you are, Sweet M, to have us. To that I reply with a statement about how blessed we are. We are the fortunate ones. We are the lucky ones. We are the blessed ones.
We have been blessed with the gift of being a part of your family.
| Our first glimpse of you |
What a gorgeous referral photo! And, for the record, I can't believe we are already to the point of "one year ago" posts on your blog. Seems like such a short time ago we were celebrating this news. Time flies!
ReplyDeleteOoh, what a beautiful referral photo! I can imagine the swooning from here. :) What a special day to remember always. Really, it's one of the most impactful days of your lives. You learned about your daughter!
ReplyDelete