05 January 2012

Irrational Front

So, we have officially reached month 21 of waiting.  Not much to report.  Nothing new on the adoption front.  For some news on the Irrational Front, read on...

I confess, I am in the midst of a simplifying/organizing/cleaning/cleansing frenzy, relentlessly trying to get rid of anything and everything material that is not useful, practical, or sentimental.  Some call it nesting, I call it crazy.  I do not know how J puts up w/ me and my persistent inquiries:  "Do we need this?"  "Can this go?" "I'm getting rid of this."  "Where do you want this?" "Do you wear this anymore?" "How many jackets do we need?"

This lamp, those magazines, that t-shirt, this pan, these shoes, that jar, this candle holder, ... 

You name it, I might try to get rid of it.  The even crazier part of all this is that I will not throw anything into the garbage.  Each item must go through the scrutiny of:  "Can we give it away? or donate it? or recycle it? or reuse it? or sell it? etc."  Rarely if ever is something actually trashed.  I have a large basket in the back of my car at all times.  It is the receptacle for all things unwanted.  And it is full, always.

I want to have a yard sale, but that is not something you do in January in CNY.  And if I recall, we have had a yard sale; no, make that two yard sales, in the past year or so (back when this nesting thing was just beginning).  In my opinion, it would be even better if we could just put a "moving sale" sign in the yard, open our doors, and tell people to people "make an offer" on all the things I deem as not useful, not practical, or having no sentimental value.

The two categories of "things" that we do not get rid of are books and music.  And we have a voluminous collection of both.

I know it is not all about me.  However, I cleverly rationalize my irrational compulsions by convincing myself that I am doing it in order to make room for little ones.

J is a saint, or at least he puts up a very good front.  Were it not for his patience and sense of humor, I do not know where I'd be.  When I start rambling about how I could get rid of my dresser and simply use a couple laundry baskets, he puts me in my place, after, of course, I have gone on & on about how long clean clothes spend in a laundry basket around here anyways.  Wouldn't it make sense?  One less step (putting clean clothes away) and more space (no dresser).  Rationalizing is my expertise lately.

Irrationalizing, that is...

Oh, did I share how often he mentions, calmly and with an innocent smile "What if we get the call and they tell us there are three siblings that match our request?"  

Is it any wonder that I am in the thick of this frenzy...???

G'nite, all...





3 comments:

  1. Love this post because I've been there. My obsession was the little patches of grease/dirt that the dogs leave in the door jams as they pass by and the dust that would collect on the rims of our doors and cabinets. Like J, my husband was very tolerant. Sending lots of love and energy your direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could also skip the laundry baskets and store your clothes in the dryer. That often works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Dakota-- aahhh yes, those dark smudges on the door jams! I can say that I have tackled those (once) already.

    @ Kyra-- I did not want to admit too much, but there are many a mornings that I am grabbing what I am going to wear to school that day directly out of the dryer. Quite often...

    too funny!

    ReplyDelete