Today marks the 17th month that we have officially been "waiting" as prospective adoptive parents. The current 'window' for wait time for [a sibling group of two beween newborn and 4 years old] is 4-18 months. That said, I have to believe we are close. Still, no one from our adoption agency can tell us how close we actually are. And that is actually true...they cannot tell us how close we actually are because they do not actually know. Those in the government of Ethiopia know, however.
Admittedly, I do hold my breath when I see a call on my phone from a blocked number or some other unrecognizable number...even though "the call" will be a 781 area code from Massachusetts. But still...
So, to pass the waiting time this summer we/I have been:
travelling here & there, tending to the garden, taking down trees to make room for a garage (finally), stacking 10 face cords of fire wood, canning tomatoes, harvesting our hops, J is practicing his Amharic (official language of Ethiopia), pulling weeds, making our own sushi, listening to music, taking walks, making a-little-but-not-enough time to read, listening to J play his didgeridoo, spending time w/ family, imagining what it will be like to get "the call," &...&...&...
What happens after we get "the call?" With the call, we will receive (limited) biographical and medical info: approximate ages, names, family history, basic medical info, and pictures. This will be the first time we get a glimpse of them! We will then have 10 days to take that info to a couple different pediatricians who have experience w/ international adoption. They will offer their expert opinions regarding the info provided. We will then either accept or reject the "referral."
Then, with all that excitement, we will have to wait more, likely a few months more. I can only imagine what the "to do" list will consist of then. A long list is essential, partially because it needs to be done and more so because it will pass the time.
After a few months, we will get another call, giving us perhaps a weeks notice before we travel for our first trip to Ethiopia for court. While there, we will meet these siblings, spend time with them, our future children. But they will not be ours. After meeting them, we will attend court to finalize the adoption. Then, we...have...to...leave.
Then back home, with a real time to do list. After another month to a few months, we will travel a second time, this time we will be accompanied by my sister Dorreen! Party of three on the flight over and party of 5 on the way back.
I know I have told all of this to many of you, but consider this the Cliff's Notes for What's Next: 101 for where we are in this process.
Well, I have pushed the limits on what many of you would prefer to read in a blog entry, so thank you for reading this far. I am grateful...
Just wanted to reach out and introduce myself. I'm Kristin, of "Kristin and Andrew" on the WHFC sibling waiting list. You can reach me at kwatkinsinfl.wordpress.com or kristin.watkins@comcast.net. Would love to connect, since there aren't many of us left on the list.
ReplyDeleteAll will be worth the wait. We are all anxious and excited. Love to you both.
ReplyDelete