29 April 2013

Still processing...

So, we have been home from Ethiopia a week now; seven days that seem like a blur. It's all fuzzy to me.

I am mostly without words. Still processing. Will do my best here.

Trying to make sense of our time in Ethiopia, while trying to transition back to our semi-normal life back here. As my friend Kelly recently said: "The time between trips is a bizarre, strange time. You're expected to live out your regular life, but nothing is regular about it - because your daughter is not with you." In those two sentences, she so accurately describes where I am.

In addition to not having Sweet M here with us, I am trying to sift through everything I learned in our short eight days in Ethiopia, everything about... kindness, values, smiling, gentleness, beauty, generosity, and simple humanity. And about saying thank you, Amesege'nallo. And being fully present. I am struggling in this transition back to "here." I know, you might be thinking, "you were only there for eight days." True, however, my soul has shifted profoundly in what I was fortunate enough to experience in those eight days.

This is why I am beyond words. Instead of trying to explain it, I will have to try to incorporate it, live it; incorporate what I can from Ethiopia into our lives so that we can "live it" w/ Sweet M when she is finally here, here to share this home with us and live in this society. I thought I knew a good amount about living a good life, a true life. But now I know I have so much more to learn. I am so grateful for the opportunity to have experienced this enlightenment (for lack of a better word). My life was lacking a very important perspective until now.

So, was that heavy enough for you? Hang in there, here comes the lighter stuff...

Sweet M: you are amazingly sweet:
  • You are almost constantly kicking your leg, and when music comes on, you start really kicking 
  • Your tongue is most likely out, either reaching for your nose, or at an angle as if you were licking food from your chin 
  • You are determined- when you want something, you do not let up 
  • YOU ARE FULL of smiles smiles smiles! you light up the room 
  • Oh, and the scrunched up face you make when your Daddy tickles you w/his beard 
  • You make this squeaky little humming noise a lot, it is so precious 
  • Once, early in the week, your squeaky little hum turned into an ever increasing scream. A happy scream, but a loud loud scream nevertheless! You were probably as entertained by our reaction to you as we were of your production. 
  • You turned 10 months yesterday! 
  • You have skills with the army crawl. We might just make you your very own challenge course to practice on. 
  • You are TALL. Enough said. 
That said, you have been through so much in your short 10 months on Earth. Three different places to call home, and even more caregivers. Loss, oh the loss.

The care and love you are getting now from your nannies makes me feel at peace. They love you so much. And we totally understand why. We love you also. So much to love.

I have not even begun to talk about all the other lovable, precious, smiling babies and older children we met and spent time with at Horizon House.

There is much more to say right now, but I must help pay the mortgage. For now, here are some moments captured, needing no captions...


and







3 comments:

  1. You are definitely a different person now. Ethiopia has a way of changing people. And, of course, being a mom changes the game, too! The feeling of being in transition or of not being back to "normal" will not go away until you're home as a family. Sorry, I know that's not the best news, but I wish someone had told me that I would not be able to focus, to concentrate, to be the old me. It won't be long now, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those photos of her little hand and feet made me smile from ear to ear. Look how tiny! And I can catch a glimpse of the HH guesthouse steps with those succulents. I will know those steps anywhere. A part of me also wonders little things, like whether Sweet M is wearing clothes that K wore. (Probably!)

    Those eight days may well have been the most meaningful eight days of your life. They introduced you to your daughter, and to her country, and to her people. You will never be the same - but that's a very, very good thing.

    I am thinking about you as you go through this next phase of this arduous journey. I remember it so clearly - and not so fondly. [Here's what I wrote at the beginning of that time: http://uninterruptedprosperity.wordpress.com/2012/06/05/between/]

    I wish you a smooth, speedy Embassy process and I hope that we are sending you off to Ethiopia again very soon! I can't wait to see you holding your Sweet M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So i watched for the three days leading up to your arrival as my K and the biggest sister of the "three" fawn over your little girl so much! She is a stunner, so beautiful...
    I am just now going through blogs- EMBASSY SET A DATE FOR US ALREADY! We want these precious girls home...and even more so, i want to learn anything I can about their first families there. Are you/were you able to do a birth family visit?

    ReplyDelete